An Asian Land Outside The Asian Soil

How did Da Tong Hua become successful?

In the class of Market Principle, we talked about MarketSegmentation and
Targeting. The supermarket T&T was used as an example ofEthnic Segmentation
for its success as the leading Asian Market.

Have you ever been to T&T before? Or have you ever heardabout it?
http://www.tnt-supermarket.com/gb/index.php






Before my first visit there, I had heard about T&T several times. I was told that if you have a chance to go to Toronto, T&Tis the place you must visit because of the products they sell. So, I got achance to go there during Thanksgiving weekend and I was totally surprised bythe people shopping there – they were all Chinese! All the sudden I thought I wasin China again! Wow! You could find lots of food and stuff from Asia includingthose from Japan, Korea, etc, and of course Chinese products as well.



As the demographics of Asians in Canada increase year byyear, T&T supermarket finds the opportunity by targeting the immigrantsfrom Asia. Their idea is to build a cleanand convenient store with fresh food and good services mainly for Asian people,which had brought them huge success. It is an obvious example that if one couldset the right target, then success is just around the corner.

However, if I were the owner of T&T, I would put moreeffort in creating a cozier and more family-like environment for the consumers.




Comments