Tangible Feeling


This week we discussed whether books and magazines could be replaced by the electronic copies on digital devices in Tom Brennan’s class.

Well, since Wi-Fi is ubiquitous here in Canada, people can have access to the Internet at almost anytime. Digital books can be downloaded and read on people’s Kindles/iPads as soon as they are published. Because of this, some bookstores were forced to close in order to continue their business in Australia. I can’t image if that would happen to the other bookstores in the future.



I am a book-lover. I love the feel of holding onto a book and the crispy sound of turning pages. I also love the smell of books. They set me in a rich cultural atmosphere. Therefore, it is a really sad thing to me that the traditional form of books is diminishing.

However, I have to say the digital world is such a convenience that most young people would fall for it. With a Kindle, people would never need to worry about the big book bags they have to carry. Digital books not only reduce the burden on one’s shoulder, but also are easily picked online without one spending days browsing in a bookstore. And what’s more, the digital books are environmentally-friendly!

But, is there anything tangible left?

The same reason as I feel that writing a card is cozier and more personal than typing up an email, the feel of holding onto a physical copy of a book in my hand can always keep my heart at peace. Therefore, I believe paper books will never disappear, as people like me would never want to put them down.

Comments

  1. Wow Ivy, this is very insightful. My brother-in-law is a very intelligent man who works with the United Nations. He talks about how so many things nowadays are "abstractions" of reality. I love how you talk about the intangible. But isn't a book an intangible representation of reality? As a book lover, I completely agree with you, but even a book can be considered a distraction (albeit a welcome one!). At one point, books were a technology too. Some people thought storytelling and memory would be lost. Interesting to contemplate...I look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kathy. I know the internet is so important that maybe we can't live without it, but I still prefer closing the internet to do some readings. I feel time passed faster when I surfing on the internet and it is really a waste of time. I hope the books won't be replaced by the digital ones.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment