The power of social media


We all have these experiences. You exchange business cards with somebody you would like to know; you probably won't get their attention. You follow somebody you are interested in through social networking sites; they probably won’t follow you back. We usually use social media as a tool for keeping in touch with the people we call “friends”.



Well, how can we use social media as a marketing tool to meet new people and expand our network? Are there any other ways we can use it? Today in my Writing and Communications class we had a very inspiring talk about social media from Lindsey Fair, a marketing professor.

Don’t forgot to send an email after meeting new people or send out a thank you card after getting help from them. Giving people these types of positive feedbacks can only affect you positively.

Social media is not the only way to connect with people. It can help you to solve problems. Recently, I used social media to get my Hotmail account back from being blocked for a long time. I was really upset when I struggled with the security questions and waiting for help while nobody contacted me for almost a month. I suddenly thought that maybe I can try twitter. Then I followed the “Hotmail client service”, sent a direct e-mail, and the problem was solved within three days! The power of social media at work!

As an IMC student, I feel the strong power of social media and want to learn more about it in the future.





Comments